Easter chocolate mousse
09:47 07 April 2011
With Easter just around the corner, why not try this amazing chocolate mousse from Mark Hix - it's ideal for Easter celebrations.
Serves 4 -6.
250g good quality dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
50g unsalted butter, softened
9 very fresh Burford Brown egg whites
6 Burford Brown egg yolks beaten
125g caster sugar
- Put the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl over a pan of simmering water,
stirring every so often until melted. Make sure you don't get any water near
- Remove from the heat
- Beat the butter into the chocolate with
a whisk or spoon until smooth.
- In a bowl that's really clean - preferably washed in boiling water to remove
any grease, and dried - whisk the egg whites until frothy but not stiff, using
a mixer or an electric whisk on a medium high speed.
- Add half the sugar to the
egg white and continue whisking on a low setting until the egg whites are
- Add the rest of the sugar and continue beating until the egg whites
stiffen up even more, then mix in the egg yolks with a metal spoon.
- Carefully stir half the egg mixture into the
chocolate mixture - a whisk helps - then stir the rest in with a large spoon
until well mixed in.
- Pour into a large serving dish and leave to set for a
couple of hours, or overnight.