Quotes by Alan Greenspan
- An almost hysterical antagonism toward the gold standard is one issue which unites statists of all persuasions. They seem to sense... that gold and economic freedom are inseparable.
- Any informed borrower is simply less vulnerable to fraud and abuse.
- History has not dealt kindly with the aftermath of protracted periods of low risk premiums.
- I have found no greater satisfaction than achieving success through honest dealing and strict adherence to the view that, for you to gain, those you deal with should gain as well.
- I was a fairly good amateur musician, and I was an average professional. But the one thing I saw was that the big band business was fading.
- I was a good amateur but only an average professional. I soon realized that there was a limit to how far I could rise in the music business, so I left the band and enrolled at New York University.
- I've been in and out of Wall Street since 1949, and I've never seen the type of animosity between government and Wall Street. And I'm not sure where it comes from, but I suspect it's got to do with a general schism in this society which is really becoming ever more destructive.
- In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation. There is no safe store of value.
- Look, I'm very much in favor of tax cuts, but not with borrowed money. And the problem that we've gotten into in recent years is spending programs with borrowed money, tax cuts with borrowed money, and at the end of the day that proves disastrous. And my view is I don't think we can play subtle policy here.
- To succeed, you will soon learn, as I did, the importance of a solid foundation in the basics of education - literacy, both verbal and numerical, and communication skills.
- We need, in effect, to make the phantom 'lock-boxes' around the trust fund real.