Quotes by Arthur Ashe
- I have always drawn strength from being close to home.
- I have tried to keep on with my striving because this is the only hope I have of ever achieving anything worthwhile and lasting.
- I keep sailing on in this middle passage. I am sailing into the wind and the dark. But I am doing my best to keep my boat steady and my sails full.
- If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life.
- One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.
- Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.
- The ideal attitude is to be physically loose and mentally tight.
- There is a syndrome in sports called 'paralysis by analysis.'
- Trust has to be earned, and should come only after the passage of time.
- We must believe in the power of education. We must respect just laws. We must love ourselves, our old and or young, our women as well as our men.
- We must reach out our hand in friendship and dignity both to those who would befriend us and those who would be our enemy.
- When we were together, I loved you deeply and you gave me so much happiness I can never repay you.
- You learn about equality in history and civics, but you find out life is not really like that.