Quotes by Dan Savage
- A huge part of what animates homophobia among young people is paranoia and fear of their own capacity to be gay themselves.
- Christmas can have a real melancholy aspect, 'cause it packages itself as this idea of perfect family cohesion and love, and you're always going to come up short when you measure your personal life against the idealized personal lives that are constantly thrust in our faces, primarily by TV commercials.
- How can you tell somebody whose is pursuing happiness that they're somehow not American when that was the very first promise that America made?
- I didn't want kids to think that to be happy, they had to be famous or rich or live in the big city.
- I don't think that sin and pursuing happiness are not necessarily the same thing.
- I got picked on a lot, even by teachers too. I liked to listen to musicals and bake, and my homeroom teacher found out and mocked me in front of the whole class for baking.
- I think the best thing for you to do is just live your life. Live a life that's worth living, one where you do what you want to do, pursue your passions. That way, if you meet someone, they'll be joining a life that's already really good.
- Most Americans don't care about gay marriage.
- My dad was a homicide cop in the gay neighborhood in the city when gay neighborhoods were desperate, depressing, sad places run by the mob. The only gay people he'd met when I came out to him were corpses.
- One man's blasphemy doesn't override other people's free-speech rights, their freedom to publish, freedom of thought.
- Really, when it comes to gay rights, there's two wars going on. The first war is political. But the culture war is over.
- Straight couples don't have to be monogamous to be married or married to be monogamous. Monogamy no more defines marriage than the presence of children does. Monogamy isn't compulsory and its absence doesn't invalidate a marriage.
- The Bible is a radically pro-slavery document. Slave owners waved Bibles over their heads in the Civil War and justified it.
- The bullied straight kid goes home to a shoulder to cry on and support and can talk freely about his experience at school and why he's being bullied. I couldn't go home and open up to my parents.
- The cultural expectation should be if there's infidelity, the marriage is more important than fidelity.
- The only way to get gay issues off the front pages of Canadian newspapers is to grant gay and lesbian people our full civil equality and leave it alone.
- Ultimately life is disease, death and oblivion. It's still better than high school.
- Women can go on marrying and pretending that their boyfriends and husbands are Mr. Darcy or some RomCom dream man. But where's that going to get 'em? Besides divorce court?