Quotes by Mary J Blige
- Don't give up, be positive and if you know someone who knows someone at a record company don't stop beating down their door till you get heard. Don't ever say it'll never happen or it'll never happen.
- I barely have time for my own children. To adopt more children and not have time for them, that would be poor parenting on my part.
- I do consider myself part of black history.
- I don't listen to people's opinions. I have people around me who I can trust, but most of all I listen to myself.
- I don't think there's anything they can say about me that I haven't said about myself already. And I would be an absolute total liar, and my fans would not respect me, if I said that my life and my marriage are perfect. But we absolutely love each other we have fun together - it's great.
- I remember a time when all my fans were crying and sad and going through hell. Now, we're trying to uplift each other and accept ourselves for who we are, even if nobody else does.
- I wish I had an extra day with my mom sometimes. Or another hour in the day with my family, husband and children.
- I've just been growing right along. It's painful, but it's a great pain, and I like suffering for great results. It's like going to the gym. It hurts really bad at first, but after a couple of months and after that diet, you're looking so hot.
- In the inner city, there's a mentality that the government owes you something. My breakthrough came when I stopped feeling sorry for myself and took responsibility for every part of my life. No more pity parties. I've gotta love me more than anybody else loves me.
- It was only for two years, and I jumped from family to family. It's very scary.
- Music makes us want to live. You don't know how many times people have told me that they'd been down and depressed and just wanted to die. But then a special song caught their ear and that helped give them renewed strength. That's the power music has.
- Really, every woman is an example to me, because as women we go through so much pain. We have to live this perfect life when we are messed up inside. We all go through trials and tribulations.
- When I was a child I didn't care about getting an education, and I didn't finish high school.
- You can hate me. You can go out there and say anything you want about me, But you will love me later because I told you the truth.
- You demand respect and you'll get it. First of all, you give respect.