Quotes by Marya Mannes
- All really great lovers are articulate, and verbal seduction is the surest road to actual seduction.
- For every five well-adjusted and smoothly functioning Americans, there are two who never had the chance to discover themselves. It may well be because they have never been alone with themselves.
- If American men are obsessed with money, American women are obsessed with weight. The men talk of gain, the women talk of loss, and I do not know which talk is the more boring.
- In aid, the proper attitude is one omitting gratitude.
- In our society those who are in reality superior in intelligence can be accepted by their fellows only if they pretend they are not.
- It is not enough to show people how to live better: there is a mandate for any group with enormous powers of communication to show people how to be better.
- The curse of the romantic is a greed for dreams, an intensity of expectation that, in the end, diminishes the reality.
- The earth we abuse and the living things we kill will, in the end, take their revenge for in exploiting their presence we are diminishing our future.
- Women are repeatedly accused of taking things personally. I cannot see any other honest way of taking them.