Quotes by Michael Phelps
- And, you know, being able to wear the stars and stripes, when you step up on one of the blocks or, you know, when you step off of an airplane or when you hear the national anthem play, you know, it's one of the greatest feelings in the world because you know that there are people at home who are supporting you and watching you.
- Even in high school, I'd tell my mom I was sick of swimming and wanted to try to play golf. She wasn't too happy. She'd say, 'Think about this.' And I'd always end up getting back in the pool.
- I feel most at home in the water. I disappear. That's where I belong.
- I have reached a place in my life where I need to sit down and say, 'Well, what do I do? What's best for me?' I need to look into options for the future.
- I have the opportunity to be part of swimming history. To take the sport to a new level would be an honor for me. There's no better time to try this than now.
- I think sometimes I guess you see records, say you want to get there and use that as motivation. In a way, it's kind of cool if there is a possibility to rewrite history and be up there with the greats of Olympic history.
- I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything.
- I think to be - for me to be an American is - you know, it's one of the greatest things in the world for - you know, for me just because I've been able to grow up with everything. The freedom. You know, in my eyes this is the greatest country in the world.
- I want to be able to look back and say, 'I've done everything I can, and I was successful.' I don't want to look back and say I should have done this or that. I'd like to change things for the younger generation of swimmers coming along.
- I want to test my maximum and see how much I can do. And I want to change the world of swimming.
- I won't predict anything historic. But nothing is impossible.
- If you want to be the best, you have to do things that other people aren't willing to do.
- It's cool just because I've had this dream of changing the sport of swimming and it's finally happening.
- My mom put me and my sisters in the water to feel comfortable, to have water safety.
- Swimming is normal for me. I'm relaxed. I'm comfortable, and I know my surroundings. It's my home.
- There is a one woman in China that claimed she paid $50 to get my e-mail address. It was pretty shocking. I got one this morning from Scotland. A girl's requesting a signed photo of me.
- This is my 20th year in the sport. I've known swimming and that's it. I don't want to swim past age 30 if I continue after this Olympics, and come back in 2016, I'll be 31. I'm looking forward to being able to see the other side of the fence.
- You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.