Quotes by Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Directing is a really kind of amazing thing, because you're helping others and, in the middle of that, you have to worry about yourself.
- Film's hard when you don't have any relationship with the director at all and you just show up. Then you really are just a gun for hire.
- I have a family.
- I have a fine level of recognition in the business and among the acting community now, so I consider myself one of the lucky ones. If I didn't think that, there would be something wrong with me. I'm grateful and thankful for what I've got.
- I have so much empathy for these young actors that are 19 and all of a sudden they're beautiful and famous and rich. I'm like, 'Oh my God, I'd be dead.'
- I like so many different kinds of music just because all I did was listen to the radio as a kid.
- I think directors should be confident in their leadership capabilities. I think directors should be confident in what they want to do.
- I work constantly but I work at a lot of different things. You know, I run a theater company in New York, I direct plays, act in plays, in movies, so I try to keep it eclectic.
- It's important to say that actors can't act alone, it's impossible. What we have to do is support each other.
- Life's pretty funny when you're objectively on the outside looking at it.
- One person's religion is another person's cult.
- People aren't going to throw the kind of money at certain people that they used to.
- People used to be funny about approaching me, but now they seem to think I'm as sane as anyone who's done what I've done in movies can be.
- There are characters in movies who I call 'film characters.' They don't exist in real life. They exist to play out a scenario. They can be in fantastic films, but they are not real characters what happens to them is not lifelike.
- To be fair to my dad, he is one of the brightest men I've ever met.
- You have to understand that crew members make movies so they're seeing a lot of actors all the time in their career acting.