Quotes by Rainer Maria Rilke
- A person isn't who they are during the last conversation you had with them - they're who they've been throughout your whole relationship.
- Believe that with your feelings and your work you are taking part in the greatest the more strongly you cultivate this belief, the more will reality and the world go forth from it.
- Everything is blooming most recklessly if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night.
- For one human being to love another that is perhaps the most difficult of all our tasks, the ultimate, the last test and proof, the work for which all other work is but preparation.
- I want to be with those who know secret things or else alone.
- Love consists in this, that two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other.
- More belongs to marriage than four legs in a bed.
- No great art has ever been made without the artist having known danger.
- Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
- One had to take some action against fear when once it laid hold of one.
- Surely all art is the result of one's having been in danger, of having gone through an experience all the way to the end, where no one can go any further.
- The deepest experience of the creator is feminine, for it is experience of receiving and bearing.
- The future enters into us, in order to transform itself in us, long before it happens.
- This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love: the more they give, the more they possess.