Quotes by William Lyon Phelps
- A student never forgets an encouraging private word, when it is given with sincere respect and admiration.
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.
- If happiness truly consisted in physical ease and freedom from care, then the happiest individual would not be either a man or a woman it would be, I think, an American cow.
- Nature makes boys and girls lovely to look upon so they can be tolerated until they acquire some sense.
- The fear of life is the favorite disease of the 20th century.
- The final test of a gentleman is his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
- This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him.
- Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good plays, good company, good conversation - what are they? They are the happiest people in the world.