20:17 11 January 2017
A hacking cough is sweeping across Britain and shows no sign of slowing down. Forecast figures from Benylin show that the number of affected individuals could increase by 60per cent this week and potentially double again next week.
Below are seven natural remedies that parents can try if their children has hacking cough:
1. Honey – Help your children make swallowing less painful by giving them a spoonful of honey. Dr Kemper, director of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Wake Forest University Medical Center, says that honey 'soothes irritated membranes by coating the throat.”
2. Rest – Stress and tiredness can lower a child’s resistance to infection and can thus worsen their condition. Experts advise giving them a couple of days rest and not giving them after-school activities as they recover.
3. Chocolate – Some research found that ingredients found in the cocoa could help tackle tickly coughs.
Deepa Songara, Boots UK Flu Service Pharmacist said: 'Some research shows that an active ingredient called theobromine in cocoa can act as cough suppressant.
'However, do remember that chocolate is not intrinsically healthy and most contain high levels of sugar. If you've had a cough for more than three weeks after a viral infection speak to your GP. If you are experiencing breathing difficulties or chest pain you should seek urgent medical advice.'
4. Do not give your children over-the-counter cough and cold remedies unless advised by a GP or pharmacist.
5. Give your children plenty of fluids. It is especially important for ill children to stay hydrated as they are often sweaty and with runny noses.
6. Give your children a supplement containing Echinacea purpurea root extract, which is found to fight the common cold by supporting the immune system.
7. Chicken soup. Make a broth using the bones of the meat or poultry when looking for a nourishing meal for your sick child. Bone stock is packed full of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that can help children recover quicker.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook