12:04 22 September 2012
A US man has won a case in court against popcorn makers Gilster-Mary Lee Corp after being diagnosed with health related problems which he claims he developed after eating the snack popcorn. Wayne Watson, 59, will receive over $7million in damages.
Mr. Watson explained to the court he developed breathing problems in 2007 and that he used to be a regular consumer of popcorn. It is thought the chemical used to flavour popcorn can be bad for your health if it is inhaled, with links to the artificial butter used in microwaveable popcorn.
The supermarket that sold the popcorn, The Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies Inc., were also liable for 20per cent damages as both the manufacturer and the retailer are accused of not labelling the popcorn packaging to warn consumers of the risk.
According to reports, the ingredient diacetyl can cause a type of obstructive lung disease which can prohibit the flow of air. This is being named ‘popcorn lung’ and it is understood it is not a reversible condition.
The Independent has explained the official name for this latest health risk is Bronchiolitis obliterans.
Lawyers defending the case argued that, as reported by the BBC, Mr. Watson may have developed the health problem by working previously with chemicals for carpet cleaning purposes.
It is understood there has been other cases linking diacetyl with health related problems.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook