12:04 25 August 2012
Comedian Stewart Francis wins top prize for Dave’s Funniest Joke at the Edinburgh Fringe Awards, thanks to a rather well-received one-liner joke about none other than Beckham and Posh Spice. The joke targeted the couple’s choice of names for their children.
The Canadian funnyman, who received his award from TV channel Dave, said: “You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks.”
Francis’ jokes, as well as that of British comedian Tim Vine, feature twice in the list of top ten best jokes published by the TV channel. Jokes from Will Marsh and Rob Beckett also made the list, which consisted of 30 jokes chosen by a panel of judges.
Francis’ joke was taken from his current show ‘Return of the Lumberjacks’. Francis said of his win: “1969 West Mall Soccer Association’s Most Valuable Player, and now this…thank you, Dave.”
Vine, who won the best joke award two years ago, was in second and sixth places this year, based on the results of a public vote involving 3,000 comedy fans.
Nish Kumar made 10th place with an Olympic-related joke: “My mum’s so pessimistic, that if there was an Olympics for pessimism…she wouldn’t fancy her chances.”
The top 10 jokes were:
1) "You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks." – Stewart Francis
2) "Last night me and my girlfriend watched three DVDs back to back. Luckily I was the one facing the telly." – Tim Vine
3) "I was raised as an only child, which really annoyed my sister." – Will Marsh
4) "You know you're working class when your TV is bigger than your book case." – Rob Beckett
5) "I'm good friends with 25 letters of the alphabet … I don't know Y." – Chris Turner
6) "I took part in the sun tanning Olympics - I just got Bronze." – Tim Vine
7) "Pornography is often frowned upon, but that's only because I'm concentrating." – George Ryegold
8) "I saw a documentary on how ships are kept together. Riveting!" – Stewart Francis
9) "I waited an hour for my starter so I complained: 'It's not rocket salad." – Lou Sanders
10) "My mum's so pessimistic, that if there was an Olympics for pessimism … she wouldn't fancy her chances." – Nish Kumar
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook