08:32 21 April 2014
Give your body a bit of a boost with our Top 10 detox foods; you'll have a spring in your step and feel cleansed and energised in no time.
1. Acai berries These tiny black berries are one of the most powerful antioxidants and are great metabolism boosters too. This super food protects the body from harmful chemicals which can negatively affect proteins, fats and DNA. If you cant find fresh berries at your local supermarket they are widely available from health food stores in the form of juice and tablets.
2. Goji berries These red fruits are stacked full of vitamins and iron and taste delicious as a dried snack or as a topping on your morning cereal. They also contain beta cortene which has been linked to helping the body combat cancer and heart disease.
3. Pomegrante- The delicious and easier to come-by seeds are full of anti oxidants, various vitamins and iron which helps oxygen to move around the body. They also help to improve your complexion, making them a favourite with detox diet lovers. Pomegranate juice can be bought from local supermarkets too.
4. Garlic It may seem strange, but this stinky onion relative can do wonders for your health. The cloves are full of antioxidants and the chemical allicin. Allicin reacts with blood and produces something which helps kill of harmful bacteria. Garlic has also been shown to lower cholesterol and regulate blood pressure. If you dont like the taste of garlic, health food stores such as Holland and Barrett sell garlic capsules.
5. Onions - Coincidentally the onion also helps to detox the body. They are packed with acids which flush the body of toxins. They also benefit the liver which is the main component for natural detoxification.
How fry-ups could
be good for us
6. Milk Thistle For many it is the liver which needs the most detoxing, especially in January. The liver protects us by removing harmful toxins from the body, but after taking a beating after the festive season we need to protect it instead. Milk thistle gives the liver therapeutic benefits and can even improve how it functions. Milk thistle can be found in various forms from health food shops and is a favourite among hangover sufferers.
7. Fennel The liquorice flavoured vegetable is full of vitamin C and potassium amongst many other healthy properties. It has been used to combat digestive problems as well as eye and breathing disorders. It is very high in fibre, promoting healthy digestion whilst reducing swelling and flushing out toxins and excess water. It can be bought in tea form from health food shops.
8. Apples Know the saying an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Well that old phrase which scared us into eating our fruit when we were young has a lot of truth in it. Apples are high in fibre, vitamin C and other antioxidants. It also contains the skin boosting vitamin E.
9. Oranges and grapefruit Oranges and grapefruit do the same job as each other so pick your favourite to enjoy their high levels of vitamin C and metabolism boosting ways as they cleanse your body of bad toxins.
10. Water It may seem obvious when going through a detox but never under estimate the rejuvenating effects water can have. Water makes up 70% of the human body, helping to hydrate us and keep our bodies functioning. Therefore, it is important to drink the recommended eight glasses of water each day.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website