Quotes by Ben Okri
- Don't despair too much if you see beautiful things destroyed, if you see them perish. Because the best things are always growing in secret.
- I am not fighting for success, just to get more beauty out of myself and share it with more people.
- I was born left-handed, but I was made to use my other hand. When I was writing 'Famished Road,' which was very long, I got repetitive stress syndrome. My right wrist collapsed, so I started using my left hand. The prose I wrote with my left hand came out denser, so later on I had to change it.
- I'm conscious of a series of circles working its way through my life. And at this particular moment I have come round to the beginning of my writing cycle. It begins with poetry. There's hardly a day that goes past on which I don't write poetry.
- Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.
- One of the greatest gifts my father gave me - unintentionally - was witnessing the courage with which he bore adversity. We had a bit of a rollercoaster life with some really challenging financial periods. He was always unshaken, completely tranquil, the same ebullient, laughing, jovial man.
- Politics is the art of the possible creativity is the art of the impossible.
- Stories can conquer fear, you know. They can make the heart bigger.
- The best writing is not about the writer, the best writing is absolutely not about the writer, it's about us, it's about the reader.
- The higher the artist, the fewer the gestures. The fewer the tools, the greater the imagination. The greater the will, the greater the secret failure.
- The most authentic thing about us is our capacity to create, to overcome, to endure, to transform, to love and to be greater than our suffering.
- The strange thing about Africa is how past, present and future come together in a kind of rough jazz, if you like.