Quotes by Calvin Trillin
- Canadians are very well behaved, they don't throw their food.
- Health food makes me sick.
- I actually think of being funny as an odd turn of mind, like a mild disability, some weird way of looking at the world that you can't get rid of.
- I don't cook. I don't know anything about food. I've never reviewed a restaurant.
- I don't think I've ever read a food piece or a food book.
- I never did very well in math - I could never seem to persuade the teacher that I hadn't meant my answers literally.
- I never eat in a restaurant that's over a hundred feet off the ground and won't stand still.
- If it's inappropriate to write about, if there's nothing funny about it, then it's not funny.
- People, not just reporters, are more interested in politics than in government, so the actual issues wouldn't be something that interested them.
- The food in such places is so tasteless because the members associate spices and garlic with just the sort of people they're trying to keep out.
- The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.
- There's always a source for humor.
- We all know funny people who can't get it down on the page - even funny writers who can't get it down on the page.
- When it comes to Chinese food I have always operated under the policy that the less known about the preparation the better. A wise diner who is invited to visit the kitchen replies by saying, as politely as possible, that he has a pressing engagement elsewhere.
- With humor, it's so subjective that trying to think of what the ideal reader would think would drive you crazy.