Quotes by Carter Burwell
- Any film which views the darker side of life, which is death with a sense of humor, is very much to my taste.
- Death is always around the corner, but often our society gives it inordinate help.
- Even if I went off to some other career, I hope I would still be doing Coen films.
- Hopefully each film can be given a musical voice of its own, which is not to say that the instrumentation is always unique, but that the relationship between the sound and the image is unique.
- I think I've only done one horror movie, Psycho III. That was a walk in the park compared to a romantic comedy.
- I would like to do a science fiction film some day. Star Wars seems really to have destroyed the genre, which at one time offered great musical opportunities.
- I'm one of those people who is actually inspired by a deadline. I might not sleep for many days on end, it may not be good for my health, but it definitely helps.
- In mainstream romantic comedies, I'm usually tearing my hair out. It's just a devastatingly difficult genre for me.
- John Barry was my hero when I was about 13. His scores to the James Bond movies were the scores of my life back then.
- Learning how to improvise really awakened my interest in music.
- The flow of Guiness into the studio was inspirational as well as nutritive.