Quotes by Damien Hirst
- Being best is a false goal, you have to measure success on your own terms.
- But I think it's more that when you're young, you're invincible, you're immortal - or at least you think you are. The possibilities are limitless, you're inventing the future. Then you get older and suddenly you have a history. It's fixed. You can't change anything. I find that a bit disturbing, to be honest.
- Great art - or good art - is when you look at it, experience it and it stays in your mind. I don't think conceptual art and traditional art are all that different.
- I always feel like the art's there and I just see it, so it's not really a lot of work.
- I have always been aware that you have to get people listening before you can change their minds. Any artist's big fear is being ignored, so if you get debate, that's great.
- I think I like big issues, but I don't believe in God or religion.
- I was taught to confront things you can't avoid. Death is one of those things. To live in a society where you're trying not to look at it is stupid because looking at death throws us back into life with more vigour and energy. The fact that flowers don't last for ever makes them beautiful.
- I've been asked to do a retrospective since I was about 28 and I always thought that was a bit odd. It's great to look forward as an artist because in the future the possibilities are infinite you look back and it's all fixed so it's a scary thing.
- In an artwork you're always looking for artistic decisions, so an ashtray is perfect. An ashtray has got life and death.
- No, I don't believe in genius. I believe in freedom. I think anyone can do it. Anyone can be like Rembrandt.
- Since I was a child, death is definitely something that I think about every day. But I think that everybody does. You try and avoid it, but it's such a big thing that you can't.
- The difference between art about death and actual death is that one's a celebration and the other's a dull fact.
- The idea of going on tour for the rest of my life with old works is not that exciting. As an artist I definitely think the work in future is going to be better than the work in the past, otherwise why do it?