Quotes by David Brainerd
- Ardent love or desire introduced, as passionately longing to please and glorify the Divine Being, to be in every respect conformed to him, and in that way to enjoy him.
- As the most extravagant errors were received among the established articles of their faith, so the most infamous vices obtained in their practice, and were indulged not only with impunity, but authorized by the sanction of their laws.
- Further, Take heed that you faithfully perform the business you have to do in the world, from a regard to the commands of God and not from an ambitious desire of being esteemed better than others.
- I bless God for this retirement: I never was more thankful for any thing than I have been of late for the necessity I am under of self-denial in many respects.
- I fear God never showed mercy to one so vile as I.
- I have a secret thought from some things I have observed, that God may perhaps design you for some singular service in the world.
- If you hope for happiness in the world, hope for it from God, and not from the world.
- Once more, Never think that you can live to God by your own power or strength but always look to and rely on him for assistance, yea, for all strength and grace.
- The all-seeing eye of God beheld our deplorable state infinite pity touched the heart of the Father of mercies and infinite wisdom laid the plan of our recovery.
- We are a long time in learning that all our strength and salvation is in God.
- We should always look upon ourselves as God's servants, placed in God's world, to do his work and accordingly labour faithfully for him not with a design to grow rich and great, but to glorify God, and do all the good we possibly can.