Quotes by Franz Grillparzer
- Although your knowledge is weak and small, you need not be silent: since you cannot be judges be at least witnesses.
- Drink and be thankful to the host! What seems insignificant when you have it, is important when you need it.
- Genius unrefined resembles a flash of lightning, but wisdom is like the sun.
- Poetry, it is often said and loudly so, is life's true mirror. But a monkey looking into a work of literature looks in vain for Socrates.
- Prose talks and poetry sings.
- Science and art, or by the same token, poetry and prose differ from one another like a journey and an excursion. The purpose of the journey is its goal, the purpose of an excursion is the process.
- Those who want to row on the ocean of human knowledge do not get far, and the storm drives those out of their course who set sail.
- Whoever places his trust into a system will soon be without a home. While you are building your third story, the two lower ones have already been dismantled.