Quotes by Gerald R Ford
- A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
- All my children have spoken for themselves since they first learned to speak, and not always with my advance approval, and I expect that to continue in the future.
- History and experience tell us that moral progress comes not in comfortable and complacent times, but out of trial and confusion.
- I had a lot of experience with people smarter than I am.
- I had pro offers from the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers, who were pretty hard up for linemen in those days. If I had gone into professional football the name Jerry Ford might have been a household word today.
- I know I am getting better at golf because I am hitting fewer spectators.
- I love sports. Whenever I can, I always watch the Detroit Tigers on the radio.
- I would hope that understanding and reconciliation are not limited to the 19th hole alone.
- It's the quality of the ordinary, the straight, the square, that accounts for the great stability and success of our nation. It's a quality to be proud of. But it's a quality that many people seem to have neglected.
- My commitment to the security and future of Israel is based upon basic morality as well as enlightened self-interest. Our role in supporting Israel honors our own heritage.
- Our constitution works. Our great republic is a government of laws, not of men.
- Our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the people rule.
- Tell the truth, work hard, and come to dinner on time.
- There are no adequate substitutes for father, mother, and children bound together in a loving commitment to nurture and protect. No government, no matter how well-intentioned, can take the place of the family in the scheme of things.
- Truth is the glue that holds government together.