Quotes by Haile Gebrselassie
- Age for me is just a number.
- I feel a social responsibility. We need to open people's eyes. There is a lack of education in Ethiopia.
- I find the business world hard.
- I have to change a lot of things before I become a good marathon runner.
- I want to go down in history.
- I wanted to be famous. I wanted people to talk about me.
- I wanted to experience New York, to look up and see buildings.
- I will always listen to my coaches. But first I listen to my body. If what they tell me suits my body, great. If my body doesn't feel good with what they say, then always my body comes first.
- I'm lucky. The best possible place in the world for training is Addis Ababa, so I am home all the time except when I am racing. I like to be there, near my family, my kids, also the real estate business I run with my wife.
- That is not enough. Sport has been great for me, a great learning place that if you want to achieve you can, even if you are from the poorest part of Africa.
- The more you are getting older, you lose a little something. Of course there is another advantage, because of your long experience you can use it.
- This is what I wanted. They tell me that London is the best field in history. I wanted to be part of that. Because everyone will be there it will be a wonderful challenge for me. You can see the best runners, how they look, how they run. For me to beat the best is what counts.
- What can you do if a part of it is uphill? You can't work out another route. You've just got to run the one they give you. But they tell me London is a nice course. Even the cobbles, I hope, are not very much of a problem for me.
- When I wake up at 5 in the morning is it just to jog? Definitely not, I give it all of my efforts.
- You must do as your people do. If my people are poor, I must be poor. People ask me, 'Why don't you find a personal coach or a private car?' I can't. Then I won't be part of my people.