Quotes by Henrik Ibsen
- Do you know what we are those of us who count as pillars of society? We are society's tools, neither more nor less.
- Home life ceases to be free and beautiful as soon as it is founded on borrowing and debt.
- I'm afraid for all those who'll have the bread snatched from their mouths by these machines. What business has science and capitalism got, bringing all these new inventions into the works, before society has produced a generation educated up to using them!
- Marriage! Nothing else demands so much of a man.
- Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth.
- People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
- The pillars of truth and the pillars of freedom - they are the pillars of society.
- The spectacles of experience through them you will see clearly a second time.
- The spirit of truth and the spirit of freedom - these are the pillars of society.
- The strongest man in the world is he who stands most alone.
- The worst enemy of truth and freedom in our society is the compact majority.
- These heroes of finance are like beads on a string when one slips off, all the rest follow.
- What business has science and capitalism got, bringing all these new inventions into the works, before society has produced a generation educated up to using them!
- Your home is regarded as a model home, your life as a model life. But all this splendor, and you along with it... it's just as though it were built upon a shifting quagmire. A moment may come, a word can be spoken, and both you and all this splendor will collapse.