Quotes by Padma Lakshmi
- From the simple stringing together of lemon garlands for the goddess Durga, to dividing the prasadam or blessed foods for the children first, I came to associate food not only with feminity, but also with purity and divinity.
- I know most people use their phones to tell time, but there's something very romantic and beautiful about a timepiece.
- I never Tweet about my daughter. Never. I just want to be respectful of her privacy. My job as a mom is to know when to open my mouth and when not to.
- I really like to sometimes go into food detox and eat very simply.
- I think wine is such a big universe that it's kind of like food - it's intimidating to a lot of people, myself included.
- I'm an immigrant kid who came to America from India when I was very young and grew up in New York City with a single mom and really was influenced by all of those immigrant cultures bumping up against each other.
- In truth, I am a single mother. But I don't feel alone at all in parenting my daughter. Krishna has a whole other side of her family who loves her, too. And so Krishna is parented by me, but also by her grandmother and aunts and cousins and uncles and friends.
- My mom was scared of the old Times Square so I was never allowed to go. Now I'm scared of the new Times Square, so I still never go.
- One thing that happens when you're pregnant is that as your stomach starts to stretch. It itches! So I have to keep my belly really lubricated. Every morning, there's a buttering ceremony after I get out of the shower. It's really like basting a turkey with body butter.
- Part of my job as a food writer is to describe food. So my work on 'Top Chef,' I feel, is an extension of that. When we give a criticism to the contestant, we want to make sure we tell them why it's not working and why it would work if they did it a different way.
- People always comment about my clothes. They don't think a fashionable woman can love food and be knowledgeable and actually cook.
- The best thing you can do for someone is make them a beautiful plate of food. How else can you invade someone's body without actually touching them?
- Wine, like food, is so emotional. If you think about it, so much of the courting ritual is surrounded by wine and food. There's a built-in romance to wine.
- You don't want your jewelry to make you look fat. A lot of what's out there now does - you just wind up looking like a Christmas tree.