Quotes by Peter Ustinov
- At the age of four with paper hats and wooden swords we're all Generals. Only some of us never grow out of it.
- Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
- Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.
- Corruption is nature's way of restoring our faith in democracy.
- Courage is often lack of insight, whereas cowardice in many cases is based on good information.
- I am an optimist, unrepentant and militant. After all, in order not to be a fool an optimist must know how sad a place the world can be. It is only the pessimist who finds this out anew every day.
- I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me the most civilised music in the world.
- I'm convinced there's a small room in the attic of the Foreign Office where future diplomats are taught to stammer.
- If Botticelli were alive today he'd be working for Vogue.
- In America, through pressure of conformity, there is freedom of choice, but nothing to choose from.
- Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit.
- Men think about women. Women think about what men think about them.
- Monica Seles: I'd hate to be next door to her on her wedding night.
- The habit of religion is oppressive, an easy way out of thought.
- The truth is an ambition which is beyond us.
- The truth is really an ambition which is beyond us.