14:12 03 February 2010
Most families like to think they are safety conscious, especially when it comes to their homes.
Making sure that all fire alarms work correctly, that all doors and windows are locked before leaving the house and checking that all plugs are switched off before going on holiday are all important. But are we being as safe as we think?
Impossible to detect without the aid of an alarm, carbon monoxide poisoning claims the lives of 30 people each year and many more become seriously ill as a result of it.
In fact according to research by the carbon monoxide Be Alarmed campaign, eight out of 10 people (81%) could actually be at risk of this deadly gas because they don't have an audible alarm. With around one in 10 of us not realising just how dangerous carbon monoxide can be to our health, there is a serious concern about our lack of knowledge.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel-burning appliances, such as boilers and cookers, are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained.
Danger signs that indicate the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak include gas appliances burning with a lazy yellow or orange flame, sooting or staining around the appliances, and excessive condensation in the room where the appliance is installed.
In the following video Melissa Matthews explains how her brother Tony died of carbon monoxide poisoning after a night out, and Dr Rob Hicks guides us through the dangers of the odourless killer, the symptoms and just how easy it can be to make your home safe:
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook