06:02 16 January 2010
Canned fruit is a great way to consume your 5-A-DAY. This recipe contains both apples and pears – not bad for a dessert!
1 hour and 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Serves 12.
See “Switch 2” for more recipes devised with James Martin
|For the cake:
½ x 385g can sliced apples, drained
½ x 410g can pear quarters, drained
180g caster sugar
150g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
1-2 tbsp milk
|For the crumble:
60g caster sugar
120g self raising flour
2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat the oven 180C/ 350F/Gas4.
Grease and line the base of a 23cm round, deep cake tin.
Cut the apples and pears into slices and toss with half the cinnamon and set aside.
1. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add the remaining cinnamon and sugar; mix well and set aside.
1. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and beat until combined.
3. Pour the mixture into the cake tin, place the fruit slices on top and sprinkle with the crumble mixture.
4. Bake for 50-55 minutes in the middle of the oven until firm and golden.
5. Cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
How to serve:
Serve warm, or cold with a generous helping of creamy custard.
Saturated fat: 12.5g
This recipe and image is copyrighted to Canned Food UK.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook