Good news welcomed for those diagnosed with diabetes
We can all appreciate good news from health related findings to financial successes.
06:35 25 June 2013
We can all use good news from time to time, and the recent news that deaths from diabetes have drastically fallen certainly fits the bill. In our personal lives, this may not affect us, but it is still nice to know.
When it comes to financial matters, we can also use some good news but sometimes we just have to make our own good news. Here are a few ideas to recognize your own financial successes.
- Set manageable goals—while it is ideal to have some long-term goals, many of those may be larger goals such as setting aside enough money for a payment on a first home, or purchasing a vehicle. Celebrate the small financial successes as well, even if it’s just to allow yourself to feel happy about an accomplishment.
- Get a little fancy—even if budgeting isn’t your favourite thing in the world, setting up a spreadsheet or a chart to show your financial progress in a visual way can be a great way to recognize how much you’ve achieved.
- Small amounts matter—large financial goals are not accomplished overnight, so it’s okay to be happy about small amounts, and a little bit of growth. Instead of thinking of how much you have left to accomplish, focus on how much you’ve already done. You might be surprised at how quickly you were able to come up with those funds.
- Enthusiasm—once you let yourself be happy over the smaller financial accomplishments, you’ll probably find that your savings methods become even more effective. Enthusiasm is contagious and you may suddenly find other ways to save money that you hadn’t thought of before.
- Splurge—don’t get so wrapped up that you forget to allow yourself a favourite drink, dinner out, a movie or something new for your wardrobe. It will keep your enthusiasm high, but will prevent you from feeling resentful of your savings plan.