12:32 29 September 2012
The football racism saga concerning John Terry continued on Friday with Terry considering whether to appeal his four match ban and £220,000 fine. These were handed to Terry by the FA, for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand during a match at Loftus Road, October 23rd 2011.
Terry’s future hung in the balance as he made his way into Chelsea’s Cobham training facility at around 9am Friday morning, and he now has 14 days in which to lodge a formal appeal against the decision.
An FA statement issued on Thursday said: “An independent regulatory commission has today found a charge of misconduct against John Terry proven and has issued a suspension for a period of four matches and a fine of £220,000, pending appeal.”
There has been a mixed reaction to the news with some reports stating that John Terry was “disappointed” with the findings. However, according to The Guardian, Sir Alex Ferguson thinks John Terry should consider the punishment given for his supposed racial abuse as being “quiet lenient”.
Gary Lineker, ‘Match of the Day’ presenter and former footballer, also tweeted his views which could be said to mirror Sir Alex Ferguson’s opinion: “The FA find John Terry guilty and give him a 4 match ban and 220K fine. Just one game more than a regular red card?”
Earlier this year Luis Suarez, a Liverpool striker and Argentinian International, was fined around £40,000 and handed an eight match ban for racially abusing Patrice Evra last season.
Anton Ferdinand, the player to which John Terry’s racial abuse was directed, has also broke his silence as he took to twitter to state: “On a serious note people need 2 read the facts before they send stupid tweets 2 me with liar and grass in it footage don't lie."
Earlier this year John Terry was found ‘not guilty’ in Westminster Magistrates Court of a racially-aggravated public order offence.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook