09:17 31 July 2013
Cancer Research UK has revealed that 96per cent of men survived testicular cancer in 2009. This huge success is attributed to growing awareness of the said cancer and changes in treatments that were made available to patients.
In the early 1970s, the survival rate was only 68per cent. It reached 90per cent by the start of the 90s.
According to figures, there are around 2,300 men affected with testicular cancer every year. With the 96per cent survival rate, experts are now focusing more attention on the remaining 4per cent.
Dr Harpal Kumar, the chief executive of Cancer Research UK, said: "A clear success story in cancer research has been the drug cisplatin, which our scientists helped to develop."
"This is helping almost all men with testicular cancer to beat the disease and is a shining example of what we can achieve through dedicated research.”
"For some types of cancer, the word 'cure' is almost a reality - 96% of men with testicular cancer are now cured. But it's important we recognise the four per cent who aren't surviving the disease, as well as the fact that we still need treatments to be kinder to patients in the future."
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook