6 Steps to Find Your Ideal Home Security System
Choosing a security system for an apartment or house is a serious matter, but not as scary as it might seem at first glance.
11:49 24 March 2020
Follow the 6 steps that we have listed in this article to know how to choose the most appropriate system for you https://securinghome.com/best-home-security-systems/.
Step 1: Choose a wired or wireless security system
To choose the right alarm, you need to determine the condition of the room where it will be placed:
- If the room is under repair - you are not limited in choice, you can install both wired and wireless options.
- If the apartment is ready to be repaired, removed or you live there temporary - only the wireless option is suitable. It is easy to install, and in case of moving, the kit can be taken with you.
Some wired alarms and wireless ones can be connected to the control panel of a security company. There are also stand-alone GSM alarms, which, if triggered, will only send a message to your phone.
Step 2: Think of Component Design
We will analyze the above options in terms of their design:
- GSM alarms are equipped with a sensor on the swivel bracket. Be sure to study the instructions for installing it so that the system works correctly. The control center is equipped with a numeric keypad and a small display. Wired and wireless sirens, opening sensors, gas sensors can be connected to it. On the back of the panel, there is a terminal strip for connecting wired sensors and other auxiliary systems.
- The wired system is most often installed by specialists because you need to have specific skills in the proper placement and configuration of system elements. The central element in the wired version is a more bulky unit. It houses a battery for emergency power to the system. The unit is installed in a hidden place and all cables to sensors and other elements are removed from it.
Step 3: Think of work autonomy
Autonomy is one of the most important aspects of security. It is important to provide maximum protection in the absence of the main power source:
- In wired systems, the built-in battery is responsible for autonomous operation. Depending on the number of connected sensors, the battery system will work in an emergency format for 1-2 days.
- In simple GSM alarms, a small battery is built into the central unit, and its battery life is 6-8 hours. Battery sensors last up to 1 year.
Step 3: Think of hacking and jamming protection
Jamming and interception protection are other important criteria for safety. Consider these features in detail:
- In the GSM alarm system, the connection with the sensors is via the radio channel, so there is no special protection in its operation. If the signal is silenced, you will not even receive an emergency notification. In the best case, a siren will work, which is connected directly to the main via a wired connection. Muffling sensors is much more difficult. If they interfere with their work, the central will recognize this and give a danger signal that the sensor is lost.
- Encrypted signals. If someone wants to intercept the information exchanged wirelessly central and sensor, nothing will come of it. In each communication session between machines, a special encrypted code is transmitted that matches on both devices. This code is constantly changing, and only the central node knows how to decrypt it. The other device simply will not have time to decrypt it, the code will change to a new one and it will not work to imitate the operation of the sensor. It is simply impossible to replace the sensor in the system.
- In a wired system, it is impossible to drown out the signal, the only way to ruin the system is to physically interrupt the wire. But for such cases, there are special algorithms for determining whether the channel is broken or the connection with the sensor is simply lost.
It is worthwhile to understand that if you have a GSM alarm system installed without a wired communication channel, it will not be able to notify you of the danger when a GSM signal is jammed. To secure the system, you need to establish a duplicate wired communication channel or Wi-Fi connection.
Step 4: Consider how to connect to the alarm panel
Considering the need to connect to the security console, it is important to understand that the GSM option cannot be connected to it. Therefore, we will consider 2 options: a wired system and a wireless alarm.
How may it look in reality:
- You are applying;
- A specialist arrives and takes data from the protected object;
- The contract is concluded;
- If necessary, a wired system is mounted by specialists of a security company.
Installing a wired alarm system on your own, without special knowledge, is almost impossible. In the case of a wireless system, everything is much simpler: you can install it yourself by watching a few simple video tutorials on our YouTube channel. After that, you need to call a specialist security company, and they will connect you to the console.
Step 5: Consider the self-installation option
Today, many people want to delve into the security system on their own. If you are one of these people - you can consider the option of GSM alarm. It is easy to install, does not require a remote control. Following the instructions, it will be possible to very quickly deploy such a system at home.
Ajax alarms can also be easily installed independently, with the help of instructions or training videos on our channel. The help of specialists will be required only when the system is installed on the security panel.
Installing a wired system yourself will definitely fail. If you want to control the installation, you can always be near a specialist and check the algorithm of his work. With this option, you will know exactly where the sensors are located and how safely the whole system works for you.
Step 6: Scalability and functionality
When designing an alarm system, it is important to consider options that can be scaled if necessary. For example, when building a house you want to save money and put protection only on the entrance group, but in the future, you plan to install flood, fire, or motion sensors - you should choose the wireless option. With it, it will take you only a couple of minutes to install a new sensor and you don’t have to destroy anything in the finished room design.
To sum up, we can definitely say that the security system has to be in every home. You know what to do to select the best option of the system today in terms of usability and security. Follow the steps, pick the right variant and feel safe.