17:57 21 January 2013
There are reports that at least 80 people are thought to have died following the hostage crisis at a Sahara gas plant. The incident in Algeria, which began on Wednesday last week, ended on Saturday, 19th January.
It is thought that around 48 people who have died were hostages, with a number of captives also being killed, as of time of press.
Some sources claim that three of the victims who have been confirmed dead were British.
The Foreign Secretary William Hague has said that there are still searches being carried out for people who are thought to be missing.
Based on previous reports, officials from Algeria had claimed that at least 30 captors had died, although details are unclear.
It is expected that the gas plant in question could go back to business as early as Tuesday one Algerian minister has said. The countries Prime Minister, Abdelmalek Sellal, is expected to give a speech on Monday.
In some reports, there have been links made between the captors and the al-Qaeda group.
Last week it was claimed by certain sources that deaths may have occurred during an operation carried out by the captors. This took place at the plant in which some individuals were being moved.
During the four-day crisis, it is thought that a number of hostages, as well as captors, may have died as a result of an attack that was carried out reportedly by Algerian forces.
The attack carried out on the Algerian gas plant occurred last Thursday, 17th January.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website