Android DIY Home Automation
With basic knowledge in carpentry, programming and electronics, you can embark on a DIY smart home automation project using Android devices.
22:11 30 March 2017
Home automation systems have easily attracted a huge following as they make for comfortable, safe and convenient lifestyle for families. With these systems in place, anyone can monitor their house from anywhere in the world through smart gadgets including cameras, smart locks and smart doors. Other gadgets can also be used to increase energy efficiency while reducing heating and cooling costs.
Making a home automation system is possible using Android gadgets but it requires a lot of skill, resources and patience. A working knowledge in carpentry, electronics and programming is also needed as the project requires the wireless integration of a specific system to the building’s electrical system. It also requires the use of hardware including electronic circuit board designed specifically made to set up a home system.
Other things that you will need include:
· Block diagram – This is a simple visual aid showing the centrality of control, the presence and features of the home automation system.
· Circuit diagram – This shows the circuitry of all the electronic components needed to be set up.
· Plastic circuit board – This physically connects the different parts and components of your system.
· Automation system – One brand that is popular due to its coding flexibility and easy interface is Arduino. It is compatible with any appliance and can be easily programmed with Android devices.
· Android app – This application offers the centrality of control of your home automation system. Depending on your need, the app can be programmed to regulate temperature, analyse your preferences, automatically switch lights on and off and track sleep patterns.