BCP Error Means Poole 5G Mast Could Go Ahead
Three to move forward with a 5G mast in Poole after not receiving a response from BCP Council within 56 days o submitting a prior-approval application
02:41 02 May 2022
BCP Council has failed to respond to Three's application to erect 5G masts in Poole within 56 days of receiving a prior-approval application from the phone company.
However, there is no record of the application on the council's online planning portal and the local authority does not agree with Three over their being deemed consent.
A spokesperson for the telecommunications giant said: “We carried out extensive searches and surveys to evaluate options before applying for planning permission on Sopwith Crescent.
“We followed the correct processes and made an application on November 25, 2021, and did not receive a response from the council within the 56-day timeframe – as a result, we have approval to build the mast.”
Applicants can attempt to use the prior approval procedure, which is an expedited planning application process, for permission to install masts.
Frustrated Bearwood and Merley ward councillor Richard Burton said BCP Council’s planning department faces “questions that need to be answered”.
“I have been searching the planning portal for this because I had been expecting it. If I haven’t found it, nobody will have seen it.
“I spoke to residents directly around it but I didn’t speak to residents slightly further away. We did the tens of houses around it. We didn’t have the resources to do the whole of Merley.
“These people have been denied the opportunity of commenting on an application which is going to affect them, whether that is for or against it.”