Best Shipping Container Flooring: Create an Aesthetically Pleasing Home
Today, several people turned their interest in building houses out of flat pack shipping containers.
17:45 26 November 2019
These shipping containers are affordable, convenient, and eco-friendly. The approach to this conventional building is different. It is standardized because the containers are built in a factory-controlled environment.
The first thing you will notice when buying a shipping container is its floor. Most shipping containers are from tropical hardwoods infused with hazardous pesticides. Thus, with a harsh component on the original flooring, the main concern is replacing the existing floor. What is the best flat pack shipping container flooring to have an aesthetically pleasing home?
Original Flooring of Flat Pack Shipping Container
Shipping containers are built explicitly under a marine-grade requirement. They have thick hardwood floors from laminated birch or teak woods. These plywood floors are durable and resistant to salty waters. With the international regulation on imports, the cargo industry applies a chemical treatment to the wood flooring.
Import and export regulations differ from each country. But, it is expected that all imported products are inspected for foreign contaminants. Contaminants refer to viruses, insects, and the like. Thus, you need to be careful in disposing of the original flooring.
Check the Floors on the Flat Pack Shipping Container
If you purchase a brand new shipping container, it is best to state that it is for building a house. You can make a request not to treat the flooring with pesticides. Moreover, you can request an alternative type of flooring. But, most people buy used shipping containers than new ones.
When you build your house with a shipping container, it is best to inspect whether the original flooring is safe to keep. You can check the type of chemical treatment on the safe convention plate or consolidated data plate of the shipping container. The plate is placed on the front door of the container.
If you found the plate, look for the timber component treatment information. It will have three sections– immunity, treatment chemical, and treatment date. With the given information, you can decide whether it is safe to keep the original flooring or not. If you do not have an idea, you can read on the classification of pesticides proposed by the World Health Organization.
Furthermore, it is best to buy a shipping container from a reliable supplier. The data plate does not reflect every information about the flat pack shipping container. Some important considerations are concealed. For example, did the flooring had damage at some point? Was it replaced? Or what products were shipped inside the container? Were there chemicals spilled on the flooring during transportation? Only the supplier knows about those things.
Best Flooring for Flat Pack Shipping Container
The original flooring of the shipping containers is for market applications. Thus, it is best to have peace of mind by replacing the flooring. Moreover, it is best to know which flooring is suitable for shipping containers for building homes. Get the ideal type of flooring and transform your shipping container into a vibrant home.
The best option to replace the hardwood floor are the following products:
- Bamboo flooring – Bamboo is the best replacement for its affordability, durability, and flexibility. You do not need to modify the bamboo floorboards before installing them into a container. It has the same dimensions as the plywood floorings.
- Carpet flooring – Carpet can cover the plywood flooring while giving a new look to the container. It is best to cover the original flooring. This is flexible and practical for an alternative option for container flooring. You can choose from several designs and colors to recreate an ideal look for your container home.
- Steel flooring – Some containers already have steel flooring. These containers have a non-slip feature. Mostly, these containers have steel cross-members that support a wood floor. The combination of steel flooring and plywood offers a durable, water-resistant floor, and rust-free.
- Vinyl flooring – Vinyl will last more than a decade, making your container house easy to maintain. The flooring component is resistant to stains, scratches, and rusts.
- Linoleum flooring – The linoleum flooring belongs to the most-ecofriendly replacement. It has a natural antibacterial feature, and it is highly biodegradable. Linoleum floors can last up to 40 years.
It takes commitment and a well-thought decision in picking the right flooring for a shipping container house. The several types of flooring will help you transform your shipping container into an aesthetically pleasing house. Decide carefully as your flooring will have a significant impact on your home.
Most of the shipping containers use hardwood flooring that is treated with harmful chemicals. The original flooring is only perfect for the transportation of products for the market application. Thus, it is best to have a personal preference on which flooring is best for replacement. The flooring replacement solely depends on the budget, style, and choice of the owner.