CCTV Could be Compulsory for Taxis in East Cambs
East Cambridgeshire council to decide if all taxis should have CCTV.
14:32 07 October 2020
East Cambridgeshire District Council's licensing committee is considering whether to make CCTV mandatory for all taxis in the district.
The committee, which will meet next week, will be asked to “instruct officers to consult to see if there are any local circumstances which indicate whether introducing CCTV in vehicles would have a positive or negative impact”. Councillors are also proposing minor amendments to the licensing policy.
Current policies make CCTV optional and for those who are using it, a sign must be displayed in the vehicle to ensure passengers are aware of the presence of the camera.
“The licensee shall ensure that all CCTV systems follow data protection laws and any cameras are mounted at a level equal to or greater than the level of the dashboard, and directed at face height,” it says.
The council will also discuss the Government's latest introduction of statutory guidance for taxis to ensure their own policies are aligned with the new guidelines.
Changes include safeguarding and customer awareness training, oral knowledge test and reduction of DBS checks on drivers. Currently, 80per cent of drivers are registered on the DBS service with the remaining 20per cent expected to submit a new DBS application.
Stewart Broome, senior licensing officer, will tell the committee that for several years key stakeholders have been calling for the Government to overhaul the “outdated legislation” controlling the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire trade.