Cliff Richard cancels cathedral charity concert
Sir Cliff Richard, who is currently facing a historical sexual assault claim, said he did not 'want the event to be overshadowed' by the allegations.
11:52 20 August 2014
Sir Cliff Richard has been forced to cancel a fundraising concert at Canterbury cathedral scheduled on September 26 due to a historical sexual assault claim against him.
His spokesman said that the Summer Holiday hitmaker did not “want the event to be overshadowed by the false allegation.” He added: “He is sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience caused.”
The announcement came after the pop star hired a high-profile lawyer, Ian Burton.
Last week, his apartment was searched by the police as part of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault on a young boy at a religious event in 1985 in Sheffield. The search, which was broadcasted by BBC, led to allegations of a witch hunt and prompted a parliamentary inquiry.
On Monday, the BBC director general and South Yorkshire police were told that they would be called to give evidence to MPs over the handling of the child abuse investigation.
The pop star has denied the allegations. Some celebrities defended him quickly stating that they were sure he was innocent. Cilla Black said: "I, like everyone else, was very shocked to hear of these allegations and I am absolutely positive that they are without foundation."