18:26 21 February 2013
Shopping for insurance, whether it is car insurance, life insurance or even pet insurance, can be plagued by more questions than answers sometimes. When you want the best for your family pet it does take a lot of time to sort through pet insurance options in order to choose the one that is right for you and your pet.
Insuring a dog can be especially tricky because there are many considerations depending on the breed and your lifestyle. Here are five things to consider when shopping for pet insurance:
1. If your lifestyle involves a lot of travel check the liability coverage in case there is an incident while travelling.
2. In the off chance that you are required to leave because of your dog, see if holiday cancellation is covered. These are usually a portion of the cost rather than 100per cent coverage.
3. Dog walking. If you have medical issues which occasionally mean you are unable to adequately care for your pet such as making sure it gets exercise, some plans may cover the hire of a dog walker.
4. Boarding costs. Check to see if these are partially or fully covered in the event that you have a medical emergency requiring hospitalization.
5. Spaying and neutering. These may be partially covered procedures, or not at all depending on the insurance company.
You may have other considerations, especially if you have a breed of dog that is considered a higher risk for threatening or violent behaviour. If your dog it also used as a work animal, you’ll want to be sure to reveal that so that you get accurate quotes from the pet insurance company.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website
x Share us on Facebook