13:30 25 July 2006
Madonna's 'Like a Prayer' has been voted the most groundbreaking video of all time.
The singer topped a poll conducted by music channel MTV, vanquishing classics such as Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' and Britney Spears' 'Baby One More Time'.
A spokesperson for MTV said: "Featuring burning crosses, statues crying blood and Madonna seducing a black Jesus, 'Like a Prayer' even brought condemnation from the Vatican for its use of religious imagery."
The top 10 "videos that broke the rules" was announced yesterday (24.07.06) as part of the channel's 25th anniversary celebrations.
Jackson's 14-minute epic 'Thriller', the longest promo ever made, came third in the poll, in which 10,000 MTV viewers voted.
The eccentric singer, along with sister Janet, also landed the sixth spot with 'Scream' - the most expensive video ever made, costing a staggering $7 million.
Madonna also landed fourth and fifth place with 'Ray of Light' and 'Vogue' respectively.
Robbie Williams' graphic 'Rock DJ' video - in which the singer appears to peel off his skin - came seventh, while the promo for the Spice Girls' first single, 'Wannabe', was voted number ten.
Top Ten Videos That Broke The Rules:
1. Madonna - Like A Prayer (1989)
2. Britney Spears - Baby One More Time (1999)
3. Michael Jackson - Thriller (1983)
4. Madonna - Ray of Light (1998)
5. Madonna - Vogue (1988)
6. Michael & Janet Jackson - Scream (1995)
7. Robbie Williams - Rock DJ (2000)
8. Eric Prydz - Call On Me (2004)
9. Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (1997)
10. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)
(C) BANG Media International