11:30 23 September 2013
Three British nationals are among the 68 people confirmed dead in the Kenyan shopping mall attack that began on Saturday afternoon. The Somali militant group al-Shabab is said to be the one behind the attack on the upscale shopping centre. The group confirmed that this is their response to Kenyan military operation in Somalia.
Aside from the British nationals, it was also confirmed that there were French, Canadian, French, Chines, and Ghanaian citizens who were also killed in the incident.
Prime Minister David Cameron who called the incident “an absolutely sickening and despicable attack of appalling brutality” had cut his visit to Balmoral to chair an emergency meeting. He tweeted, "I'm cutting short a visit to Balmoral to return to Downing St to chair Cobra late this afternoon, dealing with the Kenya terror attacks."
Meanwhile, military spokesman Col Cyrus Oguna said that although there were still about 10 people who were being held as hostage, most of the shoppers who were hold up by the militant group in the Westgate shopping centre had been freed.
Condemning the attack, the prime minister said: "These appalling terrorist attacks that take place where the perpetrators claim they do it in the name of a religion - they don't.”
"They do it in the name of terror, violence and extremism and their warped view of the world. They don't represent Islam or Muslims in Britain or anywhere else in the world."
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website