Nintendo Cartridges Leave A Bitter Taste
Cartridges of the Nintendo Switch console contains non-toxic bittering agent to avoid accidental ingestion.
18:07 08 March 2017
Some gamers, who were among the first to get a hold of the Nintendo Switch, released worldwide last week, have discovered that the console’s cartridges, which measures 34mm by 23mm, have “repellant flavor” and taste foul due to “bittering agent” intended to prevent accidental ingestion.
Games writer Jeff Gerstmann said: “I can still taste it. Do not try this at home.”
"It was very, very chemical-like. It was like someone poured a bottle of concentrated [new car scent] into my mouth."
He added: "The strange thing about it was it lasted a very long time - for an hour or so afterwards I could still taste it,"
"I had to stop and grab something to eat or drink to get this flavour out of my mouth."
In a statement released to a video game site Polygon, Nintendo revealed that it used denatonium benzoate “to avoid the possibility of accidental ingestion.” The non-toxic bittering agent is commonly added to products such as paint to deter people from consuming them.
Readers are advised not to try tasting Nintendo Switch cartridges at home.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website