Outsourcing Software Development: 5 Mistakes to Avoid
While it is every companyâ€™s wish to develop their own software and manage the whole programming stages alone,
11:39 25 February 2019
outsourcing software development happens to be a great thing too.
So, why would an otherwise great company opt to outsource software development?
- To save cost: If you are a small company just starting out, chances are you may not have the resources to employ and retain experienced developers to work in your IT department.
As such, outsourcing software development relieves all these burdens off your shoulders.
- You want it faster: If the software you need is for filling a current gap, you would need to go for a quicker team. Outsourcing software enables you to rally a team of experts around your project. This way, works get done easier and quicker.
- Concentrate on core business: If your major is in business development yet you also want to develop software that will take your business to the next level, outsource.
Outsourcing has this benefit of just taking away the stress of having developers around you, office equipment, allowances and welfare issues. The result is that you can concentrate on the more important business goals.
Outsourcing software mistakes to avoid
While outsourcing seems to be a good thing for you, you will also have to contend with a host of pitfalls along the way. These are some of the major outsourcing software mistakes to avoid.
1. Going for the lowest cost
Here you are with an ambitious software development project that you have forecast to take your business to the next level. You look around, and the only money left cannot even take you half-way through the project. What do you do? Outsource software project overseas comes into the picture,
Going for cheap could mean developers are not obligated to give their all for your project. If your project cost is quite low, chances are it will be left to inexperienced newbies who probably would be taking gambles with your project.
2. Provide unreasonable deadline
Because you are outsourcing software from overseas, you are tempted to offer crazy deadlines because you do not want to be disappointed. However, software development happens to be a systematic process.
Rushing the whole process only serves to minimize your chances at obtaining an amazing finished project. If you want value for money, avoid the temptation of faster turn-around; instead, focus on developing great software.
3. Communication is fundamental
If you are going to outsource software development, you will have to invest a great deal of time figuring which way, when and frequency of your communication. You are going to use the software for a long time. So, you will have to ensure you are aware of all the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
Of key importance is to know the time-zone of the overseas software development firm and communicate with them appropriately.
4. Not having own consultant developers
When you are so into business and you want software to exploit a business opportunity, outsourcing is the way to go. You may be clueless about the hallmarks of great software.
To remedy this, have a team of consultants who can oversight the work of the outsourcing software development company.
5. Inattention to technological advancements
Technology is so dynamic. You would be so surprised what a time lapse of three months means. Always communicate with your outsourcing company the servers you want to run your software, operating system and the build quality.
Outsourcing software mistakes you will have to avoid
In conclusion, you will have to avoid crazy deadlines, going the cheapest route, not having checks, poor communication and inattention to latest tech trends