Revamp Your Old Smartphone
Repurpose your 'obsolete' smartphone and use it as a smart home gadget.
20:59 21 June 2017
Old smartphones can be repurposed and used in creating a smart home. There are many low-cost accessories that can add extra functionality to your device as well as dozens of amazing Android and iOS apps that you can use to transform your outdated phone into a useful smart home fixture. These include:
· Manything – A free iOS app that you can use to convert your old iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone into a Wi-Fi-connected security camera. With its own IFTTT channel, you can link your old gadget to a huge range of web services and connected devices.
· Salient Eye – Another app that turns your tablet or phone into a network-connected security camera. This free app offers a range of features including auto-capture on motion detection, email and text alerts, a sound alarm, and a decent chunk of free online storage space.
· Dormi – An app that converts your Android phone or tablet into a regular baby monitor, which you can use to monitor audio or video at any point. It can be configured to send automatic alerts when your baby wakes up.
· Cloud Baby Monitor – An extremely versatile app that provides high-quality video and unlimited range through Wi-Fi, LTE, or 3G. It alerts you to motion or noises and play a lullaby to help your baby sleep.
· Presence – Offers high quality home monitoring video together with motion alerts. It offers 2-way video calling and 50MB of free cloud storage. You have the option to add Presence Security sensors (starts from £25) that will allow you to build a complete security system.