Sadiq Khan Internet Plan
Sadiq Khan reveals details on how he plans to make London the smartest city in the world.
21:39 02 July 2018
Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, has recently published a roadmap that aims to improve the city’s digital connectivity to make it the “smartest city in the world.”
Currently, 97per cent premises in London have access to superfast broadband, courtesy of Openreach’s “up to” 80Mbps capable FTTC technology and Virgin Media’s 350Mbps capable EuroDOCSIS based network. The remaining 3per cent of the population that do not have access to such service include Rotherhithe and Westminster.
In addition, only 7per cent of the whole population has access to the new generation of Gigabit capable FTTP or full fibre network.
Sadiq Khan proposed plans to improve connectivity across London include launching a new connected London programme to coordinate connectivity and 5G projects, proposing planning powers (such as requiring full fibre to the home for all developments), and enhancing public WiFi in streets and public buildings to assist those who live, work and visit London.
Sadiq Khan, The Mayor of London, said: “A year ago I announced my ambition to make London the world’s leading smart city. Today I am proud to unveil my vision for making that ambition a reality. We need a step-change in how we harness innovation for the benefit of all Londoners.
Many of London’s advances in the application of data and smart technologies are globally recognised. We have clearly taken great steps but I want us to do even more to meet the needs of Londoners.
As one of the world’s leading technology hubs, we need to be bold and think big, to experiment and try things out that have not been done elsewhere. I see London’s future as a global ‘test-bed city’ for civic innovation, where the best ideas are developed, amplified and scaled.
To solve the biggest problems our great city faces, I am calling for an ever-more collaborative approach than ever. We need our public services, major universities and technology community to mobilise their resources in new ways and partner with us to make London a fairer and more prosperous place.”
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website