09:19 27 April 2009
The Sunday Times Rich list 2009 has been revealed and for the first time in its 21-year history the total wealth of the richest 1,000 people in Britain has fallen by 37%.
And it seems that the recession has seen Britain's super rich lose more than a third of their wealth.
The multi-millionaires, who made the top 1,000, are worth 258 billion this is a staggering 155 billion less compared to last year's record total which stood at 413 billion.
The 10 biggest fallers in the 2009 Sunday Times Rich List
1. Lakshmi Mittal and family: Steel: 10,800m, a drop of 16% on 2008
2. Roman Abramovich: Oil and industry: 2 7,000m, a drop of 40% on 2008
3. Alisher Usmanov: Steel and mines: 1,500m, a drop of 74% on 2008
4. Vladimir Kim: Mining: 544m, a drop of 82% on 2008
5. John Fredriksen: Shipping: 2,500m, a drop of 46% on 2008
6. Anil Agarwal: Mining:600m, a drop of 76% on 2008
7. David and Simon Reuben: Property: 2,500m, a drop of 42% on 2008
8. Sir Richard Branson: Transport, internet and mobile phones: 1,200m, a drop of 56% on 2008
9. Sean Quinn and family: Property: 2,295m, a drop of 38% on 2008
10. Hans Rausing and family: Packaging: 4,000m, a drop of 26% on 2008
But not everyone has been feeling the pinch, former supermarket chief Sir Ken Morrison and Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed have enjoyed seeing their fortunes grow more than 10%.
The Sunday Times 2009 Rich List top 10
1. Lakshmi Mittal and family: Steel: 10,800m. Fortune drop 61% on 2008
2. Roman Abramovich: Oil and industry: 7,000m. Fortune drop 40% on 2008
3. The Duke of Westminster: Property: 6,500m. Fortune drop 7% on 2008
4. Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli: Pharmaceuticals: 5,000m. Fortune drop 12% on 2008
5. Hans Rausing and family: Packaging: 4,000m. Fortune drop 26% on 2008
6. Sir Philip and Lady Green: Retailing: 3,830m. Fortune drop 12% on 2008
7 .Charlene and Michel de Carvalho: Inheritance, brewing and banking: 2,960m. Fortune drop 18% on 2008
8. Sammy and Eyal Ofer: Shipping and property: 2,677m. Fortune drop 20% on 2008
9. John Fredriksen: Shipping: 2,500m. Fortune drop 46% on 2008
9. Joe Lewis: Foreign exchange and investment: 2,500m. Fortune drop 11% on 2008
9. Kirsten and Jorn Rausing: Inheritance and investment: 2,500m. Fortune drop 29% on 2008
9. David and Simon Reuben: Property: 2,500m. Fortune drop 42% on 2008
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website