Tips for Finding Travel-Worthy Places Practically In Your Backyard
When funds are tight, local travel gives you the opportunity to get away without breaking the bank.
14:05 13 March 2013
There are plenty of sights to see right in your own country, or even town. Holidaying at home can allow you time to enjoy your local life while helping you save bundles on travel fare, hotels, rentals and the like.
You can make day trips from the comfort of your own home, or if you prefer you might be able to find a place to stay in a neighbouring town or country and see the sights there.
- Look online first. This is one of your best resources. Searching the internet will give you an idea of where you want to go, the accommodations available, as well as attractions and prices.
- Find out if there are local magazines or newspaper publications which might show local attractions for the area that may not have shown up online.
- Speak with friends and neighbours about places they have visited and enjoyed. They can potentially provide a wealth of information about where to stay, sights to see, and good restaurants.
- Visit places such as museums, zoos, aquariums, art galleries, castles and other historical buildings. You can even make your trip a themed trip and visit all museums within a certain kilometre radius of your home.
- If you’re feeling social, join a group on a local tour or day trip.
- Travel agencies and other places may have brochures with information on local attractions and the information may be free even if you don’t go through the travel agency.
Holidaying at home can save you lots of money, be more refreshing, and offer you the option between the comfort of your own home and automobile and the luxury of staying in a hotel if you prefer. The options are endless.