11:57 04 September 2006
Are you happy with your bum? Most of us aren't. They're either too small, too big, too saggy, too flabby, and the list goes on.
Would you love a bottom like J-Lo's or Kylie's but haven't got time for the gym? Well now you can! With the right exercise training you can transform your dismal derriere in no time.
Here are the top 10 moves to guarantee you a firmer bot.
1. Reverse lunge - Stand a stride's length in front of a chair, feet and knees hip width apart. Place your left foot on top of the chair so you are standing on the right leg. Keep abdominal muscles pulled in tight as you slowly lower your hips down towards the floor. Hands on hips or out for balance. At lowest position your right knee should be over your right ankle, in line with second toe. Use your bottom muscles to push back up to start position. Repeat 12 times on each leg.
2. Walking lunge - Stand with feet hip width apart, hands on hips. Take a large step forward as you lower your body down until your front knee is above the ankle, in line with the second toe. Pause for 1 second and raise yourself up as you step forward onto the other leg, repeating the lunge. Perform up to 10 slow lunges on each leg.
3. Chair squat - Stand in front of a chair, feet hip width apart. Keep tummy tight as you lower yourself as if to sit on the chair. Just before you touch the chair, and with your knees over your ankles in line with the second toe, use bottom and thighs to push yourself back to standing. Build up to 20 repetitions.
4. Donkey Kicks - Kneel on elbows and knees, elbows under shoulders and hands clasped together, knees hip width apart. Keep tummy tight and spine straight. Raise one foot towards ceiling, and, with knee bent at a right angle, squeeze bottom and press foot up to ceiling 12 times. Repeat on other leg.
5. Glute raises - Lie on your front, and place the palms of your hands face down beside your head. Bend your right leg up so that your foot is beyond 90 degrees heading towards your bottom; the front of your thigh should be flat on the floor with your hips square. Lift your leg about 2in (5cm) off the floor, using only your glute muscles to raise your leg and not your back. Repeat this 20 times on each leg.
6. Hip lift - Lie flat on your back, with your arms on the floor and your legs straight and toes pointing up towards the ceiling, and engage your pelvic floor, by squeezing the muscles you?d use if you wanted to stop the flow of your pee. Squeeze your glutes and lift your hips as high as you can. Your heels should be digging into the floor. Ideally, you should hold this for 30 seconds.
To make the exercise easier you can raise your hips up and down for the duration of 30 seconds. Or, if you find it easy holding for 30 seconds, shift your weight from heel to heel while doing the exercise.
Riding a bike is great for your glutes, hips and thighs. Get your glutes involved by leading with your heels when you push down on the pedals. On the upswing, pull up on the pedal (providing you've got foot straps) to make sure you're using every part of your legs during your workout. For brief periods, lift your butt off the seat and slowly pedal as you contract the butt.
There isn't a female alive who wouldn't get a smaller butt from a running program. If you have excessive body fat to lose, then this may not be your best bet due to the stress it places on the knees.
However, a gradual program works great for those who have less than 25 pounds to lose. Try to build up to 4 days per week for 30 minutes and remember to invest in high quality running shoes.
9. Wall squat
Stand in front of a wall facing away from the wall, feet hip width apart. Lean your back onto the wall, and slowly lower your body down towards the floor, shuffling your feet forwards until you are in a sitting position, ensuring the knees are above the ankle and in line with the second toe. Keep the tummy pulled in and a straight spine. Slowly push yourself back up to standing and slowly lower down again up to 5 times.
10. Standing leg circles
Stand facing a wall hands on the wall and tummy pulled in. Lift one leg behind you keeping hips facing forward, and circle leg around 8 times in each direction. Repeat on other leg.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website