Warning - GRAPHIC IMAGE: Snake bite turns 13-year-old's leg black
A snake's venom has caused severe necrosis on a teenage victim in shocking pictures seen around the world.
17:28 28 October 2014
A young girl's leg has turned black and shrivelled up after a snake's venom caused severe necrosis - the early death of cells.
Instagram user juventudmedica originally reported on the case that saw the initial bite be treated 'by remedies from her indigenous culture' according to the Daily Mirror.
A month later, however, the 13-year-old wasn't doing any better so she was rushed to Carcaras in Venezuela for professional medical treatment.
Dr Arun Ghosh, a GP from Liverpool, told the Daily Mail "Snake venom is very complicated and depends on the species of snake," he added.
"But the picture shows clearly severe tissue necrosis that will need amputation, though she still may die from this due to the nature of the poison."