18:52 24 November 2017
In-car WiFi is one of the latest innovations that aim to keep you connected no matter where you are and what you’re doing. In-car Wi-Fi is a technology in which your car becomes the data hub. Using 3G or 4G cellular networks, the car becomes a WiFi hotspot to which you can connect your smartphone and your tablet when you’re on the road. Most in-car WiFi systems operate via the user having a contract arrangement with the vehicle manufacturer itself to provide the necessary data.
The best cars with built-in WiFi are the following:
· Audi A8 – Audi was the first one to experiment with in-car WiFi in 2011. Since then, it has refined and developed its Audi Connect system. The latest version of the system is about to debut in the all-new A8 saloon. It features an always-on WiFi hotspot that warns drivers of bad weather and traffic and allows them to share emails and messages while keeping them up to date on social media happenings without the need to take their eyes off the road.
· BMW 3-Series – Featuring BMW’s Car Hotspot LTE, this car uses a SIM car reader in its centre armrest. The system is portable, which means that you can take it with you if you need hotspot outside of the car.
· Vauxhall Astra – Astra was one of the first cars to bring WiFi hotspot technology to the mainstream market via its OnStar application, which is also a concierge service. It gives users an easy access to a live multilingual call centre that answers any queries they may have, such as local information, sat nav guidance and even audio controls.
· Volvo XC40 – This car is equipped with On Call, an app-based service that allows you to control your car via your smartphone. Using the app, you can lock or unlock your car, remotely check your fuel level, set the climate control and even select your music before your journey.
· Mercedez Benz E-Class – The Mercedes platform allows for up to four devices to be connected at once. It also has an added functionality that includes the ability to use the car’s integrated touchscreen as a browser. InCarHotspot’s connection speed is up to 7.2Mbps, which is as fast as some home Internet systems.
Disclaimer: Supanet is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to this website