Quotes by George Henry Lewes
- Books minister to our knowledge, to our guidance, and to our delight, by their truth, their uprightness, and their art.
- Endeavour to be faithful, and if there is any beauty in your thought, your style will be beautiful if there is any real emotion to express, the expression will be moving.
- Imagination is not the exclusive appanage of artists, but belongs in varying degrees to all men.
- Insincerity is always weakness sincerity even in error is strength.
- Many a genius has been slow of growth. Oaks that flourish for a thousand years do not spring up into beauty like a reed.
- Philosophy and Art both render the invisible visible by imagination.
- Science is not addressed to poets.
- Science is the systematic classification of experience.
- The delusions of self-love cannot be prevented, but intellectual misconceptions as to the means of achieving success may be corrected.
- The only cure for grief is action.